Wednesday, November 17, 2010

My responses to Dr Katie's Forum class Part Uno...

The next few blogs are responses to the darling kiddies and apparent older folks hangin with DK in Forum:
By the way, slightly unnerving to see that you all actually read my rantings…
These are my best shots at answers to your questions, some are just me replying to your posts and some are just more rants. I hope you take the time to read more than just my response to you, there’s some good stuff in my replies to others as well I think…

If I missed your question or you have more, reply to this and I will respond ASAP

Thanks for reading guys, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed it for the most part!

Hugo Fowler: You should minor in whatever you find interesting. I didn’t get a minor but if I did it would have been in History, probably American History but really I just love History in general. Find something you love and pursue it and then find some thing else you love to fall back on ha ha ha

Veronica Hodur: I think the reason they stuck me in the box office is simply because they had an opening there and (fortunately for me) they want to keep me at their theatre. At the time they offered me the box office job, they were also considering me for the Prop Manager position. I think they wanted to keep me around and see what else I’m capable of before they made a decision. And I thank them everyday (in my head) for keeping me on and giving me a paycheck.

Rebecca Doyle: YES. Internships are important, I know you didn’t ask me, but from my very short experience I’d say not only are they a great resume builder but they are also a great place to learn even more about your chosen career.

Madison Kisst: I got this internship and the one I gave up in AZ the same way: by randomly emailing my resume to any theatre I heard that had paid internships. I started by looking at theatres I knew, then looking at theatres teachers suggested, then by simply looking. For a techie even road houses are an option. I even saw postings for stagehands at the San Francisco Ballet. It’s a wide world of opportunities for techies, you just have to look. I was fortunate to have a nice amount of Scene Shop work from Chico State and that helped, but they also had me work in the Costume Shop during my internship and I had never even touched a sewing machine before. I think the fact that I had a good foundation in tech stuff and I appeared to really want the job and to do the work was the deciding factor on how I got the internship. And once I got here I proved myself worthy by doing any task they threw at me. I’m afraid I don’t know much about the acting side other than what I hear from college friends and new actor friends here at my theatre. I will say these kids are all doing it, and seem to love it. Right now for White Christmas we have about 25-28 in the cast and they are from all over: New York, San Francisco, Florida, So Cal, you name it. Heck, I’ve even seen some of my fellow Chico alumni’s headshots on the casting table hereJ.

Alyson Nagel: I would recommend this job to others. I know it might seem like otherwise, but I love my job. I love that I get to work in a theatre every day. Its true, shop work and builds and props and crew is really my bread and butter but if working in this box office for a while lets me also do the things I love, then its all worth it. And honestly, the ladies who work in the box office with me love it. It’s totally their style. They wouldn’t last 5 minutes in a scene shop ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment