Friday, October 15, 2010

There is no "YOU GUYS!!!"

So, I have begun working in a third dept at the ol compound- BOX OFFICE. My first job was a secretary for my parents construction company and I've held various positions in the food industry so I figured I had this job in the bag; I answer some phones, take ticket reservations and basically act friendly to the Blue Hairs.
Well, its harder than that.
Blue Hairs are stupid. I'm sorry, I know that I'm speaking ill of my elders but its true, they don't understand half the things I try to explain to them and I have a very small amount of patience. I honestly believe that as I get older, I also get less classy, less sophisticated, less...ladylike? I LOVE working in the Scene Shop, I'm working with guys who don't care if I make off color comments or don't sit up straight. In the Box Office I am a face of the theatre. People see me, talk to me, ask me questions. I have to be pretty and charming and smart. Basically, the Box Office girls are the Geishas of the admin department. They do a ton of rediculous tasks and all the while are expected to grin and bear it. I am rude, I am crude and I don't like explaining the same thing seven hundred times. Oh, and did I mention I use waaaaaaaaayyyyyy too much vernacular or colloquialisms or whatever they're called? Yes, it is true. I say "yeah" and "um" too much. I get scolded everytime I say "you guys" I think I am basically good at this new task and I get the technical side of things, now I just have to talk the talk and walk the walk.
LESSON LEARNED: DO NOT EVER ASSUME YOU SPEAK PROPERLY!!! Also, never assume a job is easy.

No comments:

Post a Comment